Caring for Adults through Respite, Enrichment & Socialization
Our CJFS CARES (Caring for Adults through Respite, Enrichment and Socialization) program serves famlies affected by memory or movement disorders such as Alzheimer’s, dementia, Parkinson’s or stroke. CARES provides cognitive, physical and social stimulation for participants while giving caregivers a much-needed break. CARES is a time of laughter, friendship and belonging for participants and volunteers alike. Program activities include: Music and Pet Therapy, Chair Exercise, Arts and Crafts, Intergenerational Activities, and Service Projects.
Care for the Loved One
- Professionals and trained volunteers provide supervision and lead activities with the dignity and respect every person deserves.
- Participants socialize, are served a nutritious lunch and enjoy engaging activities.
- Participants may attend one or more days each week or month, offering flexibility that many participants require.
Care for the Caregiver
- Caregivers who take time to care for themselves are better able to manage the stresses of caring for loved ones.
- CARES is a supportive community where caregivers and professionals share insights, guidance and encouragement on a regular basis.
- CARES enables caregivers to schedule time to exercise, meet with friends, run errands, etc.
VOLUNTEER Because YOU Care
- Give four hours – as little as once a month – to provide companionship & assistance to individuals with memory care issues.
- Offer caregivers a much needed break, allowing them to focus on their needs while their loved ones are stimulated in a safe, professional environment.
- Share your talents. Activities may include music therapy, exercise, art and more
- Onsite and ongoing training is provided to help you be the best volunteer you can be.
- Enjoy the fun and friendship of the CARES community!
To volunteer, contact Lise Grace,
email@example.com or 205-879-3438
CJFS CARES is underwritten in part by the Birmingham Jewish Foundation, Community Foundation of Greater Birmingham, and Protective Life Foundation.